Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Coating problems on new lens: Pentax HD DA Limited 35mm F2.8 Macro Lens

Nudelsieb
Posted 21/11/2014 - 19:30 Link
Hey guys,

I'd like to know if anyone has had any issues with this lens from Amazon UK or other dealers. A couple of weeks ago this lens was £ 319. Yes, I know it is an incredible price and I didn't hesitate to order, although I assumed it was a mistake by Amazon. Anyway, when I received it, I spotted a mark on the front element. I first thought it is just dust. So I just used the lens once to try it. When I wanted to get rid of the spot with a blower and lenspen it revealed to be some kind of coating mark. I complained about it at Amazon and send the lens back. I got an exchange which had a spot on the rear element and a smear (kind of) mark on the inside of the front element. I also couldn't blow off the rear element's coating spot. I further tried the lenspen brush and lens cleaning liquid, no success. I sent it back and received another replacement. Well, this is even worse. Not damage wise, but it looks kind of used. On the front element it looks like there are smear marks from cleaning, really weird. On the rear element seems to be a micro scratch in the centre, which is the worst spot! I am sure this is not a reflection effect or similar. Am I too picky? These are Ltd lenses, they should be perfect, shouldn't they?

So, now I could just take the money back, which would be a huge bummer because of the huge savings, or I take another attempt to get a further replacement. I could also try to clean the front element and keep the lens. After all, it was way cheaper, but it remains a weird feeling about all this. Wonder if Pentax got something wrong with this model.

Could I get a replacement directly from the Pentax service or would they attempt a repair? How long would that take?

Thanks for reading.
davem
Posted 21/11/2014 - 20:07 Link
Sounds like a bad batch. Take the money and see what price SRS can do for you. There have not been any problems on the lens reported here.
johnriley
Posted 22/11/2014 - 00:00 Link
I would just send it back until you're happy. If the lenses looked as though they were ex-demo I'd go for a refund.
Best regards, John
Nudelsieb
Posted 22/11/2014 - 00:52 Link
Thanks, both of you. It was such a good deal, £ 150 cheaper. But as usual you get what you pay for . I can not replace it forever. Perhaps I am going for one more shot.
Daronl
Posted 22/11/2014 - 05:40 Link
See

FS: Pentax DA 35mm f2.8 Macro Limited, Boxed with pouch and caps. ( member - lennybloke)

Search for member "Lennybloke" who has this lens for sale in mint condition with all the bits (box,caps,pouch etc) at a great price

Regards

Daronl

Nudelsieb wrote:
Thanks, both of you. It was such a good deal, £ 150 cheaper. But as usual you get what you pay for . I can not replace it forever. Perhaps I am going for one more shot.

Daronl
Pjy123
Posted 22/11/2014 - 08:29 Link
Hi. On the 55-300 lens there is like a finger print mark which drives you mad, after several threads I found its ment to be on there. Maybe you have the same
Nudelsieb
Posted 23/11/2014 - 16:51 Link
Pjy123 wrote:
Hi. On the 55-300 lens there is like a finger print mark which drives you mad, after several threads I found its ment to be on there. Maybe you have the same

Hi, no I don't have such things like fingerprints. It's more like micro scratches or dots.
Nudelsieb
Posted 23/11/2014 - 16:52 Link
Daronl wrote:
See

FS: Pentax DA 35mm f2.8 Macro Limited, Boxed with pouch and caps. ( member - lennybloke)

Search for member "Lennybloke" who has this lens for sale in mint condition with all the bits (box,caps,pouch etc) at a great price

Regards

Daronl

Nudelsieb wrote:

Thanks, yes I saw that but I wanted the new version because for that price it is a bargain. However, now I know why it's so cheap.
Nudelsieb
Posted 23/11/2014 - 16:53 Link
johnriley wrote:
I would just send it back until you're happy. If the lenses looked as though they were ex-demo I'd go for a refund.

You mean try it again until I have a good version? Usually Amazon sells demo stuff in their outlet. Pretty weird.
johnriley
Posted 23/11/2014 - 17:03 Link
Outlet or not, it's not something that would make me accept a sub-standard product.
Best regards, John
Nudelsieb
Posted 25/11/2014 - 18:13 Link
After all I agreed to get the full refund, after they refused to send me the black version instead (which was pricier and therefore I suspected it to be better state or from a better batch). Surprisingly I just looked for the black version again and they are reduced. So didn't hesitate to order and fingers crossed, hope this time it is perfect.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.