Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Cowes Powerboat Classic 2012 (image intensive)

Mike-P
Posted 28/08/2012 - 14:33 Link
Well the K-5 and new Sigma 50-500mm get a good workout Sunday and I have to say bother performed very well. There was a 30 min walk on very loose shingle to find a decent viewing spot.

The long walk up.

Comment Image

Waiting.

Comment Image

And watching.

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Heading out to the start

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Must be on their way ... helicopter filming

Comment Image

Comment Image

Here comes the leader.

Comment Image

Followed closely by a couple more

Comment Image

Comment Image

Then a few of the main bunch

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Won't bore you any longer ... plenty of others on my Flickr if you are interested.
johnriley
Posted 28/08/2012 - 15:10 Link
Apart from the first one, all excellent.

The first one is a puzzle and looks wrong. This seems to be because the zone of sharp focus ends abruptly at the feet of the couple, as though drawn with a ruler. Everything in front is sharp as a tack, everything beyond is uniformly blurred. Very odd....
Best regards, John
stub
Posted 28/08/2012 - 16:45 Link
Wow...How blooming good are these. Excellant application.
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..
snappychappy
Posted 28/08/2012 - 16:50 Link
Very nice set indeed Mike. Love the shots with the boats getting some air.
Smeggypants
Posted 28/08/2012 - 18:12 Link
Superb set Mike. - I actually like the first one. I would have cropped a bit more off the top though.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
tyronet2000
Posted 28/08/2012 - 18:55 Link
Thanks for sharing Mike. My main curiosity with No.1 is how much of your kit was the person on the right carrying
Regards
Stan

PPG
Stridey
Posted 28/08/2012 - 19:07 Link
Great shots, Mike. Hurst Castle is such a good vantage point for this race and the Round the Island Race earlier in the Summer.
Blythman
Posted 28/08/2012 - 21:07 Link
You and your lens did well here mate. Very nice set
Alan

PPG
Flickr
Stuey
Posted 28/08/2012 - 21:09 Link
If I were to criticise these it would purely be from a 'I wish I was able to get out and take pictures like this in a location like this and do such a fine job of them but I can't so I am jealous' point of view So I won't

John makes a fair point on sharpness in pic 1 - is part of this cause heat causing moisture evaporation/ heat haze etc etc :

I have to admit that when I see shots like these I really do wish I could be there taking those but as I cannot (realistically a very long trip) so it is really nice to see them and see how others portray events I would not otherwise see

Great set

The water/boat and helicopter/sky themes are cliche's though - I am off to get my tin hat and hide just in case my daft comment draws too much harrassment

I will now go look at your flickr set and I expect to enjoy them
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link
Stuey
Posted 28/08/2012 - 21:21 Link
Just checked out your flickr page Mike - cracking stuff - my son also likes the boats, helicopters and the Moscow state circus stuff
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link
davidstorm
Posted 28/08/2012 - 23:58 Link
johnriley wrote:
Apart from the first one, all excellent.

The first one is a puzzle and looks wrong. This seems to be because the zone of sharp focus ends abruptly at the feet of the couple, as though drawn with a ruler. Everything in front is sharp as a tack, everything beyond is uniformly blurred. Very odd....

I think this may be due to undulations in the shingle John, the peak of the shingle is exactly on the plane of sharp focus, whereas the next visible bit of shingle is some distance behind.

I like this image and all of the others too. A great set.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
simonarron
Posted 29/08/2012 - 07:26 Link
Fantastic set, Mike, and yet another thing I feel the urge to try...
Algernon
Posted 29/08/2012 - 07:51 Link
Super shots and the lens looks a winner
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Mike-P
Posted 29/08/2012 - 11:21 Link
thanks for the comments

tyronet2000 wrote:
Thanks for sharing Mike. My main curiosity with No.1 is how much of your kit was the person on the right carrying

She was nothing to do with me but I imagined how she looked was the same as how I felt after that walk.

Stridey wrote:
Great shots, Mike. Hurst Castle is such a good vantage point for this race and the Round the Island Race earlier in the Summer.

Unfortunately the big powerboats came back via the needles and the IOW side of the spit (which was bloody annoying after waiting nearly 3 hours for them to return). Too far away even for 500mm

simonarron wrote:
Fantastic set, Mike, and yet another thing I feel the urge to try...

Thanks Simon ... feel free to come along next year and you can return the favour by taking me to the Monaco F1
ciao
Posted 30/08/2012 - 13:36 Link
Mike-P wrote:
Well the K-5 and new Sigma 50-500mm get a good workout Sunday and I have to say bother performed very well. There was a 30 min walk on very loose shingle to find a decent viewing spot.

The long walk up.

Won't bore you any longer ... plenty of others on my Flickr if you are interested.

Hi, would it be okay to use these shots on the British Powerboat Racing Club Facebook page? If so please post how you would like to be credited.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.