Visit Asahi Photo Visit Asahi Photo Visit Asahi Photo

CPPAA

Anvh
Posted 17/04/2009 - 13:15 Link
CPPAA - Common Pentax Photography Abbreviations and Acronyms

Just a list of abbreviations and acronyms we used here often on the forum, I'm still working on it but want your view if I've everything and if I've writting so far is correct.
When this is finished I would start on a word list with words like crop, bokeh, etc. with very sort explaination.

I could come up with the abbreviations we used for silkypix here and the abbreviations and acronyms of the third party lenses are still missing.
Should I putt in the M, A, AF, FAJ, FA, DA, DFA lenses?

1-#
100% crop - A section of a full sized image cropped at an 1:1 ratio

A
AD - Anomalous Dispersion - Tamron acronym, see ED glass.
ADH - AD-Hybrid Aspherical - Tamron acronym, refers to the use of aspherical lens made out of AD glass to further reduce chromatic aberration.
AE - Auto Exposure
AEB – Auto-Exposure Bracketing
AF - Auto Focus
AFC - Auto Focus continuous
AFS - Auto Focus single
AL - Aspherical Lenses - a lens whose surfaces profile is neither a proportion of a sphere nor of a circular cylinder is used to various optical aberrations
A/M - Auto/Manual - Tamron acronym referring to an auto/manual focus switch on the lens.
AOV – Angle of View - Describes the angular extent of a given scene that is imaged by a camera.
aRGB - Adobe RGB – Is a colour space that use the RGB model just like sRGB but is capable to handle an broader range of colours.
ASL - Aspherical lenses - Tamron acronym, see AL for more information
ASP - Aspherical lenses - Sigma acronym, see AL for more information
APO - Sigma's acronym, see ED glass for more information
Av - Aperture value – Half automatic mode where by the user controls the aperture.

B
BBAR - Broad-Band, Anti-Reflection - A lens coating used by Tamron functionally similar to Pentax SMC.
BF – Back Focus - The distance between the back surface of a lens and the focal plane when the lens is focused at infinity. May also refer to misalignment of the auto focus whereby the focus lay behind the subject, see also FF (Front Focus).
BMP - An image file format, Also called Windows bitmap.
BTL – Behind the Lens
B&W – Black and White

C
CA - Chromatic Aberration
CCD – Charged Coupled Device - In digital cameras typically used as image sensor.
CF - CompactFlash - A memory card format.
CMOS – Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor - In digital cameras typically used as image sensor.
CMS – Colour Management System
CMYK – Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black – A subtractive colour model, used in colour printing in Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black ink are added together in various ways to reproduce a broad array of colours
COC – Circle of Confusion - The optical term for a blurred spot which is the image of an out-of-focus point source.
CWB – Custom White Balance

D
DNG - Digital Negative - A raw image file format created by Adobe by the demand for a unifying camera raw file format.
DOF - Depth of Field - a measurement of depth of acceptable sharpness in the object space, or subject space.
DOF – Depth of Focus - describes the tolerance of placement of the image plane to the lens.
DPI – Dots per Inch - A measure of printing resolution.
DPOF – Digital Print Order Format
D-SLR or DSLR - Digital Single Lens Reflex – A SLR Camera that use an electronic image sensor instead of film. See SLR for more information.

E
EC – Exposure Compensation
ED Glass - extra-low dispersion glass – Reduce the amount that light disperse when leaving the glass thereby reducing chromatic aberrations.
EV – Exposure Value - A combination of shutter speed and aperture
EVF – Electronic Viewfinder – A viewfinder where the image captured by the lens is projected electronically onto a miniature display.
EVIL - Electronic Viewfinder, Interchangeable Lens – Refers to a camera that has both.
EX - Sigma acronym referring to the Sigma pro line, better build and optical qualities.
EXIF – Exchangeable Image File Format - A format for storing metadata in image files

F
FEB – Flash Exposure Bracketing
FF – Front Focus - Misalignment of the auto focus whereby the focus lay in front of the subject, see also BF (Back Focus).
FF – Full Frame - a camera fitted with an image sensor equivalent in size to traditional 35mm film.
Fn - Function - Refers to the function key found on certain PENTAX cameras that gives direct access to certain actions.
FOV - Field of View - The angular extent of the observable world that is seen at any given moment.
FPS – Frames per Second
FREE - Fixed Rear Element Extension – A lens whose last cell (lens group) remains fixed during focusing leading to lower field curvature, spherical aberrations, physically smaller and lighter lenses

G
GB – Gigabyte - a unit of information used for memory or storage capacity. 1GB = 1024MB
GIF – Graphics Interchange Format - An image file format used extensively on the internet

H
HDR – High Dynamic Range - is a set of techniques that allows a greater dynamic range of luminances between light and dark areas of a scene than normal digital imaging techniques.
HSM - Hyper-Sonic Motor - Sigma acronym, see SDM.
HSS – High Speed Sync – Special flash options whereby the flash strobes to expose the full frame by higher shutterspeeds.

I
IF – Internal Focusing
IR – Infrared
IQ - Image Quality
ISO - Number indicating a digital camera sensors sensitivity to light.

J
JPEG or JPG – Joint Photographic Experts Group – An image file format.

K

L
LAH - LD-Hybrid Aspherical - Tamron acronym, refers to the use of aspherical lens made out of LD glass to further reduce chromatic aberration.
LBA - Lens Buying Addiction.
LCD – Liquid Crystal Display - A type of flat-panel display device.
LD - Low Dispersion - Tamron acronym, see ED Glass.
LED – Light Emitting Diode - An electronic light source.
LR - Lightroom - A photography software program designed to assist photographers in managing digital images and doing post production work.
LTE – Long Time Exposure

M
M – Manual – Refers to the Manual mode on the camera
MB – Megabyte - A unit of information used for memory or storage capacity. 1024MB = 1GB
MF – Manual Focus
MLU – Mirror Lockup - It allows the operator to reduce vibration-induced motion blur during exposure, the 2 second delay comes close to this function on modern Pentax cameras.
MMC – MultiMedia Card - A memory card format.
MP – Megapixels – A pixel is the smallest item of information in an image. Mega means million so MP = 1 million pixels
MS – Memory Stick - A small, portable flash memory (storage) card that plugs into a computer’s, also called USB flash drive,

N
NR - Noise Reduction - The process of removing noise from an image.

O
OEM – Original Equipment Manufacturer - The original manufacturer of a component for a product, which may be resold by another company
OOC – Out of Camera
OOF - Out of Focus - An image created when the rays of light passing through a lens fall upon a plane in front of or beyond the point at which they converge to form a sharp image.
OP - Original Poster – person who starts a new forum topic
OT - Off Topic
OTF – Off the Film
OVF – Optical Viewfinder - A viewfinder is what the photographer looks through to compose, and in many cases to focus, the picture.

P
PEF - Pentax Digital Camera Raw - A raw image format used by Pentax digital cameras.
PF - Purple Fringing - Is the term for an out-of-focus purple ghost image on a photograph
PIC - Picture
PICS, PIX - Pictures
PNG - Portable Network Graphics – An image file format
PP - Post Processing - Editing digital images
PPA – Professional Photographers of America - the largest non-profit association for professional photographers in the world.
PPG - Pentax Photo Gallery – Worldwide photo archive for Pentax photographers managed by Pentax.
PPI – Pixels per Inch - A measurement of the resolution of devices in various contexts.
PQ - Picture Quality
PS - Photoshop –Professional photo editing program by Adobe.
PSE - Photoshop Elements - "little brother" of Photoshop
PSD – Photoshop Document – An image file format stores an image with support for most imaging options available in Photoshop.
PSP - Paintshop Pro - similar to Photoshop but less expensive
P-TTL – PentaxThrough the lens – A form of through the lens metering specially used and designed by PENTAX. See TTL

Q

R
RAW - An image file unique to digital image devices, the file format consist of unprocessed data from the sensor and therefore needs processing to before publishing.
RF - Rear Focus - This lens is equipped with a system that moves the rear lens group for focus.
RGB - Red, Green, and Blue - An additive colour model used by imaging devices in which red, green, and blue light are added together in various ways to reproduce a broad array of colours.
RTFM - Read The F*** Manual - There are different version of this with various F-words but they all mean that you should read the manual.

S
SR – Shake Reduction – An form of image stabilization to increase the stability of an image.
SD - Secure Digital - a memory card format
SDHC- Secure Digital High Capacity – An extension of the SD standard with higher capacity, not backwards compatible with normal SD.
SDM – Supersonic Direct-drive Motor – A special type of motor within a modern autofocus lens that allows for extremely quick focus shifts with very little sound.
SLR – Single Lens Reflex - A type of camera that employs a rotating mirror (either a pentaprism or a pentamirror) that reflects the image that comes through the lens onto a focusing screen.
SMC - super multi coating - high quality lens coating to reduce light loss when light travels between air and glass.
SOOC – Straight Out of Camera – refers to an photo without any post processing.
SP - Super Protection - A special coating of the front lens element of particular PENTAX lenses to prevent the contamination of the lens by waterbased or oily substances.
SPDS - Silkypix Developer Studio - An all-round RAW converter with features and function to enhance your photo.
SS – Shutter Speed
sRGB – Standard RGB – Is a colour space that use the RGB model to create an broad range of colours and has become the standard color space for displaying images on the internet and many other aplications and devices. sRGB's color gamut encompasses 35% of the visible colours.
Sv – Sensitivity Priority - Half automatic mode where by the user controls the ISO sensitivity.

T
TAv – Shutter & Aperture value - Half automatic mode where by the user controls the aperture and shutterspeed.
TC - Teleconverter – A device used for increasing focal length .
TIFF or TIF – Tagged Image File Format
TTL – Through The Lens - A feature of cameras capable of measuring light levels in a scene through their lens
Tv – Shutter value - Half automatic mode where by the user controls the shutterspeed.

U
USB – Universal Serial Bus - A serial bus standard to connect devices to a computer.
USM - Unsharp Mask - sharpening tool found in many photo editing programs
UWA – Ultra Wide Angle - A lens whose focal length is shorter than the short side of film or sensor.

V

W
WA – Wide Angle - A lens whose focal length is substantially shorter than the focal length of a normal lens.
WB – White Balance - The global adjustment of the intensities of the colors.

X
XR - Extra Refractive Index Glass - Tamron acronym

Y

Z
ZL - Zoom-Lock Mechanism - Tamron acronym
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Edited by Anvh: 20/04/2009 - 12:54
MGraley
Posted 17/04/2009 - 13:45 Link
AFC = "continuous" (bizarre English spelling!)
Excellent job!
Good idea!
Edited by MGraley: 17/04/2009 - 13:46
Anvh
Posted 17/04/2009 - 13:46 Link
ah okay thank you, changing
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
Mike-P
Posted 17/04/2009 - 13:55 Link
M-Manual ?

Never seen that one before, what a pointless abbreviation
MGraley
Posted 17/04/2009 - 13:59 Link
As opposed to auto!
Edited by MGraley: 17/04/2009 - 14:00
Anvh
Posted 17/04/2009 - 14:04 Link
I was also thinking about B - Bulb but that went a bit to far
M is quite often use and refer mostly to Manual or should I make it M-Mode but that would mean I would also need to dat that with Tv Av and TAv
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
Anvh
Posted 17/04/2009 - 14:05 Link
Also the abbreviations and acronyms of the Pentax point and shoot cameras arent in it.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
MGraley
Posted 17/04/2009 - 14:17 Link
Also:
ANVH - Another Nice View from Holland!
Anvh
Posted 17/04/2009 - 14:20 Link
MGraley wrote:
Also:
ANVH - Another Nice View from Holland!

didn't thought about that one, good one.
It's simply the last two letters from my name and a bit more
Stefan van Hulst.

edit: typo
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
Edited by Anvh: 17/04/2009 - 14:21
Kenty
Posted 17/04/2009 - 14:33 Link
Great job you're doing.

What about PEF - Pentax Digital Camera Raw Image Format :

John
On a dark desert highway, cool Pentax K5 in my hand.
My Kit
K5 & 18-55 Kit lens, K7, Pentax 18-250mm lens, Sigma 10-20mm lens, Sigma 105mm Macro lens, Pentax 50mm 1.7 lens, Cokin P Series Filters
Anvh
Posted 17/04/2009 - 14:40 Link
Yes that's a good one John, adding now
Also DNG and RAW of course
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
Edited by Anvh: 17/04/2009 - 14:41
Cliff-P
Posted 17/04/2009 - 14:42 Link
Great job young man How about adding MUFC
Cliff.

My Flickr link
Nikon D750, D7000 , Nikkor 80-400, 70-300 and 18-200 lenses
Kenty
Posted 17/04/2009 - 14:51 Link
Mmmm - there's the 'Fn' button. Assume this means Function??? :

John
My Kit
K5 & 18-55 Kit lens, K7, Pentax 18-250mm lens, Sigma 10-20mm lens, Sigma 105mm Macro lens, Pentax 50mm 1.7 lens, Cokin P Series Filters
Kenty
Posted 17/04/2009 - 14:53 Link
Does MUFC relate to Pentax Cameras i.e. 'Much Used Fabulous Cameras' :
My Kit
Anvh
Posted 17/04/2009 - 14:58 Link
[quote:3496ace15f="Kenty"]Mmmm - there's the 'Fn' button. Assume this means Function??? :/quote]
Yes it means function also adding it just to make it complete as far as it goes.

MUFC might be for another list but not this one sorry
It will probable go into the internet abbreviations and acronyms
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.