Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Cross Country

Blaze
Posted 01/04/2013 - 08:50 Link
These are my first attempt at horsey action shots. The first day was dull and drizzly but things brightened up after that. It was a lot harder than I thought but I learnt about the best distances. The tripod was invaluable thought the last shot was taken rather quickly and handheld - he was a long way away! I did a little tidying up of clutter the background in one or two, but little PP otherwise.
Kx + DL 55-300

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image
Edited by Blaze: 01/04/2013 - 08:53
bforbes
Posted 01/04/2013 - 10:02 Link
My favourite is number 3. I might be tempted to with some PP burning to bring out detail in the horses face.
bluenose82
Posted 01/04/2013 - 10:19 Link
Nice work. No 3 for me too
davidtrout
Posted 01/04/2013 - 10:21 Link
Very good action shots. My favourite is also #3.
David

PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout
Blythman
Posted 01/04/2013 - 11:20 Link
#3 is excellent and I think many experienced horse photographers would be happy with it.

The first and last have the horse moving away from you which is not so good in my opinion. I think its better to have the horse angled coming towards you
Alan

PPG
Flickr
Blaze
Posted 01/04/2013 - 11:46 Link
Thank you very much for the comments - and I'll have a go with the burn tool.
In fact #3 is also my favourite - he's my instructor . I hope he'll be pleased with the result.

One of the problems with taking photos of horses jumping is that they can sometimes look rather static, i.e. without much feeling of movement. It's probably got something to do with the angle where the shot was taken. Plus I think being able to catch a determined look on the rider's face as he looks in the direction he will be taking may give an idea of action.

Yes, I agree, Alan, shots of the horse going away aren't good.
Shots taken sideways on can look dramatic, but I didn't include any above because I thought they were dull. Here's an example :

Comment Image
Edited by Blaze: 01/04/2013 - 11:46
tyronet2000
Posted 01/04/2013 - 13:30 Link
I think you have some very good images. #3 is favourite but I like the motion you have captured too.
Regards
Stan

PPG
Blaze
Posted 02/04/2013 - 09:17 Link
Thank you, Stan.
One more that I took yesterday. If anything it was a little too bright and any of the obstacles that were close enough to get the horse coming towards me were into the sun. But I like the expression on this chap's face

Comment Image

For some reason the colours are not as warm as the one on my desktop and this shot looks rather dull here ...
Edited by Blaze: 02/04/2013 - 09:18
tyronet2000
Posted 02/04/2013 - 09:57 Link
Blaze wrote:
Thank you, Stan.
One more that I took yesterday. But I like the expression on this chap's face
For some reason the colours are not as warm as the one on my desktop and this shot looks rather dull here ...

I think the expression on his face makes this shot, plus the horse is in the air. He looks either terrified or amazed he's cleared the obstacle. Love it
Regards
Stan

PPG

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.