Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Filter woes

tyronet2000
Posted 27/09/2013 - 20:43 Link
Experimenting with the hitech 10 stop and three images came out like this. Any ideas what went wrong? The only thing I can think of is, I'd put the filter in askew allowing a light leak.

Comment Image

K5 f/16 8secs 18-135 @ 18mm
Regards
Stan

PPG
matwhittington
Posted 27/09/2013 - 21:06 Link
Gosh. Not sure... my thoughts are: was it raining, giving droplets on the filter? was the viewfinder covered (otherwise light could leak in through that) and was the filter as close to the front of the lens as you could get it? otherwise you may have got some reflection from the back of the filter if the light was coming from behind you... Am sure others on here will a more definitive answer

Cheers
Mat W

My Flickr: link
pentaxian450
Posted 28/09/2013 - 01:28 Link
For whatever reason, the diaphragm is reflected back onto the filter. It might be caused by a particular light source angle, or so many other reasons...:::
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)
sandinista
Posted 28/09/2013 - 07:38 Link
Did you cover your viewfinder, also is it a screw on filter, if it slides into a holder there is potential for light ingress
Great simplicity is only won by an intense moment or by years of intelligent effort. T.S Eliot

Gear Not enough!!
PPG
Flickr
My not so new website
Gamka
Posted 28/09/2013 - 07:49 Link
It is almost certainly light creeping in behind the filter - how did you mount it and was the gasket compressed?

It apparently has a blue cast - which you might need to tweak with White Balance settings.

As for the spots ???? They are not regular or symmetrical in any way - either on a plane or circular - could they be dust specks picking up light?
tyronet2000
Posted 28/09/2013 - 08:51 Link
Thanks for all the suggestions. If I put them all together I'll probably arrive at the solution to what I did. Went back later and tried again.
Things I did check were the filter was in the holder straight and the gasket as far as I could see was tight all round and viewfinder was covered.

I know the horizon is down at left and a magenta cast etc., image only resized for here.

Comment Image
Regards
Stan

PPG
Edited by tyronet2000: 28/09/2013 - 08:58
Gamka
Posted 28/09/2013 - 21:50 Link
Seems to be sorted ... just need to tweak the white balance an save that as a specific setting.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.