Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

hot shoe flash cover weather sealing

Posted 01/10/2013 - 00:44 Link
Hello , my hot shoe flash cover on my k20d is missing. i have some concerns(whether valid or not)about weather sealing.do is it essential to cover the hot shoe and does the original part have to be Pentax or will A 3RD party do.

regards

Nadeem
Aero
Posted 01/10/2013 - 01:54 Link
I lost the hot shoe cover for my K-30 a while ago and bought a cheapo on eBay. It was bound to fit, surely? No, it didn't -- at least not as tightly as the original and certainly not well enough to ensure any sort of weather sealing. Had to pay the ridiculous Pentax price for a proper replacement. The cover for the GX-20 (K20D) is the same as the K-30's, so I suspect you'd run into the same problem. As to whether a cover is essential, it's bound to help with sealing and I wouldn't risk going out in the rain without one.

Al
Posted 01/10/2013 - 12:06 Link
I see that srs sell an original, but i did not note the model number cheers Nadeem.
kh1234567890
Posted 01/10/2013 - 16:15 Link
The eBay ones with a bubble spirit level built in are made of a rubbery material and are a pretty snug and probably weathertight fit. And they make that pretty useless part actually useful
gartmore
Posted 01/10/2013 - 18:00 Link
I'm certain plays no part in the weather sealing
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Posted 02/10/2013 - 00:00 Link
surprised as the contacts are exposed......

still a saving is a saving

may phone SRS,

Nadeem
Pentaxophile
Posted 02/10/2013 - 09:13 Link
I would post a 'wanted' ad in the classifieds before forking out for a new one. Someone may have accumulated a spare.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Posted 02/10/2013 - 15:45 Link
according to the guy at srs , a hot shoe cover has no bearing on weather sealing,in fact he stated he does not use one.so is there any need for me to give fleabay another pound for this product, even if it does have a spirit level.

Nadeem

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.