Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Johnsons Photopia

snappychappy
Posted 12/09/2012 - 15:49 Link
Accidentally damaged the K5 in early July, sent to Johnson's for estimate for repair under Glover Howe insurance. Took them 3 weeks for estimate, and had to call them for that. Mid August contacted them again, waiting for mirror box. Contacted them again 7th Sept, they have parts and are proceeding with repair. Still no word, will give another week and then phone.

Anyone had any experience with them?
johnriley
Posted 12/09/2012 - 15:51 Link
If you look around the forum, there are threads on the subject.

I used them once and they were fine, but not mega-quick. Not disgraceful either, but maybe two weeks for a K10D repair IIRC. I think the quote arriving was the slowest bit.
Best regards, John
bettyswolloks
Posted 12/09/2012 - 15:57 Link
I've used them in the past and found them to be prompt, though they fixed the reason I sent it off for it came back with another fault. Sent it back again and they ended up replacing the whole unit.
One day you'll find, 10yrs have got behind you.
ilovesaabs
Posted 12/09/2012 - 16:28 Link
Slow, but good quality repairs....
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff
stub
Posted 12/09/2012 - 17:20 Link
Used them once. I thought they were very efficient. Would certainly not hessitate in using again.
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..
cabstar
Posted 12/09/2012 - 18:32 Link
Only used them once for a warranty repair on my k-5, was told 10 to 15 working days arrived back within 7 I think.

Called the for original claim and again for follow up, both handled professionally.

I used Johnson's in Glasgow, totally different business, before for a lens repair and they where waiting I think two months for a part from Pentax...
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
aliengrove
Posted 12/09/2012 - 19:52 Link
My camera went to Johnsons for a warrany repair (lens release fell off) and came back as a manual focus camera. They had re-assembled it incorrectly.It does not give me any faith whatsoever in the quality of their work, and I would certainly never use them for a paid-for repair. It's now back at Mathers waiting for me to pick it up next week. Here's hoping the same idiot didn't work on it this time.....
womble
Posted 12/09/2012 - 21:53 Link
I've had various things fixed by them (yes, I'm clumsy). The lens repair was glacially slow. The camera repair was quick, but they didn't check it actually wrote anything to the memory card and so I had to send it back again...

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
SkyRider
Posted 13/09/2012 - 10:09 Link
I'd echo others' experience - I used them for a warranty repair. It took 3-4 weeks with no information coming back (I only found they'd received it by ringing them) but the workmanship was impeccable when the camera finally reappeared.
SteveF
Posted 13/09/2012 - 11:00 Link
No problems here in 2011 - five working days to diagnose and replace a failed SDM motor. Good service.
fritzthedog
Posted 13/09/2012 - 13:42 Link
They fall down badly on communication. Have used them three times and same each time - absolutely no communication from them without being chased, and even then, up to 7 days to respond to email. Quickest repair took 4 weeks - longest 7 weeks

Workmanship - A+
Customer Service - C-

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
jemx99
Posted 13/09/2012 - 19:43 Link
Had a K100d Super fixed by them when my daughter dropped it. The main board was replaced and new top section of body. Repair was excellent with camera looking and working like new. Because Johnsons is local to me there was no delay in posting etc and communication was good - took about 10 days in total.
One thing with the main board being replaced the shutter count went back to zero - something to perhaps bear in mind when buying second hand and the seller quoting a low shutter count.
pianoman
Posted 15/09/2012 - 12:44 Link
I have used them twice and find them first rate for quality of repair and am just about to send a 17-70 off to them
I expect little or no communication although they did reply to emails in a day or two in the past but have no hesitation in using them or for that matter recommending them but dont expect a speedy repair
All the best

David
chrysb
Posted 17/09/2012 - 20:05 Link
I have used them recently and they were superb. I called first to explain my issue and they invited me to visit (I only live 5 miles from their site in Stoke on Trent). As a walk in repair they sorted me out in about 30 mins. Best of all they did it for free.
I wish .....
chrysb
Posted 17/09/2012 - 20:10 Link
I forgot to say to Snappychappy. If the repair is being done through an insurer then they are probably the reason it seems slow. My son worked as a claims handler for an insurance company and they were often instructed to slow claims handling down, or speed it up, to manipulate cash flow.

They would also often argue the repair costs with the repairers and then use them as the excuse when the customer complained.
I wish .....

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.