Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

K-5 lens release button gone

NeilP
Posted 11/07/2013 - 23:04 Link
Was walking along a couple of days ago and saw a silver studded blue butterfly so went to change lens and...the lens release button was gone!

Im sure I read about someone else having the problem, but a search brings up nothing (unless Im doing it wrong!).

Anyone got any ideas? The camera has just come back from having the grip replaced and just had it 2 years to warranty has gone.
davidstorm
Posted 11/07/2013 - 23:24 Link
It's a well documented and fairly common occurrence with the K-5, only option is to send it off for repair I think. It's a shame the warranty is out.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
fritzthedog
Posted 12/07/2013 - 08:27 Link
Yes - this happened to me when I was on holiday - 2 weeks after buying it. Was a quick and painless warranty repair for me at the time (2 years ago).

You may be able to convince them that it was an inherent fault and get it repaired FOC. If you search the web - there are hundreds of reported cases. Just because it is out of warranty does not mean you have no rights - depends how hard you want to fight it. If you took it to court - you would probably win on the basis that it would be reasonable to expect that you should not experience this sort of issue at just over 2 years old..

If you need to remove the lens still on the camera - I found that the tip of a ballpoint pen worked until I got back off holiday!

Good luck

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
vic cross
Posted 12/07/2013 - 09:31 Link
If it is an inherent fault and you can prove it. "Which I'm sure you can" then you have six (6) years under English law and five (5) under Scottish law to claim.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.
JAK
Posted 12/07/2013 - 09:37 Link
vic cross wrote:
If it is an inherent fault and you can prove it. "Which I'm sure you can" then you have six (6) years under English law and five (5) under Scottish law to claim.
CHEERS Vic.

I'd have thought that too. It would be interesting to hear the thoughts of a retailer such as SRS and Pentax themselves regarding this certainly not unique problem.

John K
John K
Edited by JAK: 12/07/2013 - 09:38
screwdriver222
Posted 12/07/2013 - 18:33 Link
I have heard of someone contacting Pentax by phone and getting a replacement button plunger and the silicon supporting cone free of charge. Worth a try.

Jeff
JohnX
Posted 13/07/2013 - 09:37 Link
In the US Pentax were sending them out by post on request, but I understand here 'they' say it must be sent to a repairer, so the issue about liability for the repair due to an inherent fault beyond the warranty period must be open and shut?
NeilP
Posted 29/08/2013 - 23:33 Link
Thanks for replies guys.

I took the camera to SRS at the weekend and they have sent it off. They seemed doubt it was an inherent fault and would be repaired for free on those grounds but I went of to Johnsons to have the rubber grip which was peeling off replaced, so maybe its under a repair warranty. If they try to charge I'll be sure to mention there was no trouble with the button until the rubber grip (which is right by the button) was replaced....
JAK
Posted 30/08/2013 - 00:26 Link
John K
michaelblue
Posted 30/08/2013 - 04:44 Link
The same happened to my k5, luckily I found it and stuck it back on with 'superglue' and it's been fine since....over a year now.
Regards,
Michael
NeilP
Posted 06/09/2013 - 23:16 Link
Thanks for replies folks. Took it back to SRS 2 weekends ago (Saturday of bank holiday weekend) after they asked to look at it. They sent it off, Johnsons repaired it (at no cost) and sent to SRS for Wednsday, who then posted it back to me, again at no cost. Very pleased with customer service from both

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.