Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

K30, focus peaking and manual focus lenses

andrewk
Posted 02/12/2012 - 10:20 Link
I am reliably informed that Santa is about to wield my debit card to replace my K200D with a nice shiny new probably black (maybe blue) K30 body.

I have read lots of reviews and am completely convinced that the K30 is a major upgrade to my K200D except in two respects - focussing with manual focus lenses, which I use a lot. The K200D has a split-image focussing screen which makes accurate focussing with manual focus lenses much easier and faster. The other is that I have a battery grip for the K200D, which cannot be fitted to the K30 - but I'm convinced I could get along without that and probably not miss it after a day or two.

So, down to the point of the post - - - how easy is it using Live View/focus peaking on a K30 as a focussing aid for manual focus lenses? It strikes me as a bit of an ergonomic disaster to have to keep switching from viewfinder to Live View and back, when I'm so used to focussing through the viewfinder with a split-image screen?

Does anyone have experience of making the same move - and how did it go? Am I worrying too much? Should I tell Santa to sit on his hands or, given what seems to me to be a silly low current price for the K30, just get on with pulling the trigger?

Andrew
Edited by andrewk: 02/12/2012 - 10:21
Mannesty
Posted 02/12/2012 - 11:58 Link
I've no experience of either camera model you mention, but I do know that the split-image focusing screen in your K200D was not fitted as standard.

This screen from Katzeye will fit your new K-30, so you could continue to focus the way you want.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Edited by Mannesty: 02/12/2012 - 12:00
Pheo
Posted 02/12/2012 - 12:13 Link
Focus peaking works ok - it's not a replacement for a film era viewfinder, but in a bind its ok. I'd see how you go then get a katzeye fitted if you need it, as suggested above.
andrewk
Posted 02/12/2012 - 12:24 Link
Mannesty wrote:
I've no experience of either camera model you mention, but I do know that the split-image focusing screen in your K200D was not fitted as standard.

True - I fitted a split-screen from focusingscreen.com some years back. I've just had a quick whizz with a freebie utility called "ExposurePlot" to analyse the photos stored on a USB backup drive I use. Nearly 60% of all photos that I have taken in the last two years were taken at focal lengths of 24mm, 28mm or 50mm. These correspond to the three manual focus primes that I use regularly.

Quote:
This screen from Katzeye will fit your new K-30, so you could continue to focus the way you want.

Indeed, yes. It's a swings and roundabouts issue, though. What you gain on ease & accuracy of manual focussing, you lose by not being able to use single point metering. In any case, I wouldn't want to take a K30 apart to replace the screen whilst it is under warranty.

Andrew
geordie01
Posted 02/12/2012 - 12:25 Link
Just tried a couple of manual lenses on my K30 and they work fine with focus peaking i used a A70-210 F4 and a 50MM M1.7
Edited by geordie01: 02/12/2012 - 12:26
andrewk
Posted 02/12/2012 - 12:59 Link
The cost of a Katzeye screen with Optibrite Coating, once I've paid import duty & VAT is going to be about what I'd get for the K200D if I were to sell it.

So, I may as well keep the K200D and use that when manual focus doesn't work so well on the K30.

Problem solved? Maybe .........

Andrew
Edited by andrewk: 02/12/2012 - 13:02
andrewk
Posted 03/12/2012 - 18:00 Link
It would seem that Santa thinks the problem is solved, as he has just waved my debit card at our friends from SRS and they have deposited a K30 body in his sleigh.

If Parcel Force do the business, it should arrive on Weds.

Andrew
AuraTodd
Posted 03/12/2012 - 19:43 Link
Is SRS very good?
darkskies
Posted 03/12/2012 - 19:45 Link
AuraTodd wrote:
Is SRS very good?

Yes!
This space deliberately left blank.
AuraTodd
Posted 03/12/2012 - 19:46 Link
Thanks
Posted 03/12/2012 - 21:50 Link
I just bought the K30 to use with a M 50mm f1.4 and the M 24-35mm. Both my wife (camera technophobe) and I found it really easy to use Live View to take photos in focus using Live View. We found we couldn't quite get it right with Focus Peaking but probably because I am not using it quite right. I would definitely recommend the K30 with old lenses given the current price.
AuraTodd
Posted 04/12/2012 - 15:50 Link
OK what I have decided to do is order the K-30 in the beginning of January from SRS. Did you say they supply a free battery and two years warrenty?
greynolds999
Posted 04/12/2012 - 16:02 Link
All Pentax cameras have a battery (and charger) included. Pro dealers (such as SRS) offer a two year warranty.

Remember to quote your user name to ensure you get free delivery. If you do get charged, just drop Chris a message and he will sort it for you.
AuraTodd
Posted 04/12/2012 - 16:42 Link
Thanks that's kind of you. What do I do when ordering camera. Do I e-mail them or is there a special form to fill out please?
Blythman
Posted 04/12/2012 - 16:52 Link
Phone the number on the top of their website. That's what always do anyway.

http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/
Alan

PPG
Flickr

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.