Kielder at 24mm



andrewk

Plus Member

Pentax Pro Master 752 posts
6 years
Oldham, Lancashire,UK
Link Posted 14/06/2010 - 22:13
I bought an "as new" MF Sigma 24mm f2.8 Super-wide II a month or so back and took it with me on holiday to Kielder Campsite in Northumberland at the end of May. I decided that, for the whole holiday, I would use nothing else and so it stayed on my K200D for about 10 days.

These are a few of the photos (snaps?) I took with it. I've lurked around the Pentax User forums for quite a while now, so maybe it's time I stuck my head above the parapet. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions and criticism that anyone might feel able to offer.

One of the first things you do when you pitch a caravan is fill up the Aquaroll and then make a cup of tea or coffee. The nearest tap had a slight problem ...



I don't know whether you've seen Kielder Skyspace (rather pretentious name for a building with a hole in the roof).



Inside the building ....



Looking up ....



I spotted this interesting looking tree, but I think the photo is lacking a bit of something - maybe a mountain in the background.



As trees have lots of fractal detail, I reckon they make good subjects for judging the sharpness of a lens. This is a 100% crop from the above photo.


I reckon the 24mm Sigma is plenty sharp enough and is a definite keeper. Indeed, I don't feel any particular urge at the moment to take it off the camera.


Andrew
Flickr photostream
Last Edited by andrewk on 14/06/2010 - 22:17


Father Ted

Member

Pentax Pro Master 2,480 posts
6 years
Wirral
Link Posted 14/06/2010 - 22:45
Hi Andrew.
They don't do much for me, I'm afraid, except for the tree. I think a tweak in PS, maybe alter the contrast a bit and that may come to life. I certainly like the composition of it.
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K10d, *istDL, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.


aliengrove

Member

Pentax Pro Master 2,473 posts
4 years
Here, there, everywhere
Link Posted 14/06/2010 - 22:47
I've got one of these lenses myself, and took it out yesterday but didn't get anything worthwhile as most of the time I was shooting through the passenger window in a car.

andrewk wrote:


I spotted this interesting looking tree, but I think the photo is lacking a bit of something - maybe a mountain in the background.

I think this would perhaps look better in mono?

In "looking up" it's a shame the area around the hole is not a bit more interesting, as it is impossible to tell it is shot through a hole in the ceiling.
Flurble

My Website
PPG
flickr
G+
Facebook
Last Edited by aliengrove on 14/06/2010 - 22:50


pauljay

Plus Member

Site Veteran 31 posts
6 years
Zuid Limburg, The Netherlands
Link Posted 15/06/2010 - 06:31
Perhaps time to join us in the "Gallery" Andrew?
Paul.

Photography is not a sport. It has no rules. Everything must be dared and tried! (Bill Brandt)
jaypix
PPG


johnwhit

Member

Pentax Pro Master 1,568 posts
6 years
Rainhill
Link Posted 15/06/2010 - 07:23
andrewk wrote:
I bought an "as new" MF Sigma 24mm f2.8 Super-wide II a month or so back and took it with me on holiday to Kielder Campsite in Northumberland at the end of May..........

I don't know whether you've seen Kielder Skyspace (rather pretentious name for a building with a hole in the roof).



Inside the building ....



Looking up ....



I reckon the 24mm Sigma is plenty sharp enough and is a definite keeper. Indeed, I don't feel any particular urge at the moment to take it off the camera.


Andrew

They should put a Camera Obscura in that building, it would be far more interesting. Love the Sigma 24/2.8 that much I have 2, one MF one AF. Very sharp and the close focus ability is really useful

Regards,

John
PPG link

In LBA hiatus.
Last Edited by johnwhit on 15/06/2010 - 07:24


bwlchmawr

Member

Pentax Pro Master 2,715 posts
4 years
Somerset
Link Posted 15/06/2010 - 10:46
A lens I'm looking for, at the right price. A most useful length. No wonder you managed with that alone for ten days. It's something I'm often tempted to do...

Back to the pictures. The study of the tree has the most potential but the light was very "English": great for portraits; lousy for punchy landscapes. I'd convert to mono and rack-up the contrast to try and make something happen. same "Inside the building" which has some interesting shapes and textures.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05/


andrewk

Plus Member

Pentax Pro Master 752 posts
6 years
Oldham, Lancashire,UK
Link Posted 15/06/2010 - 13:12
cardiff_gareth wrote:
Tree has the most potential - I can see that working much better as a dark and moody B&W

A bit like this?



Andrew
Flickr photostream


Ratcatcher

Member

Pentax Pro Master 525 posts
8 years
St Neots, Cambridgeshire
Link Posted 15/06/2010 - 17:07
I really like this image, hope you don't mind.

Infared



Colour Boost


Richard

K5 + 55-300, A-50mm F1.7, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 17-50, SP90 DI Macro
Manfrotto 190XPROB-804RC2 Head


link Flickr
link PPG


andrewk

Plus Member

Pentax Pro Master 752 posts
6 years
Oldham, Lancashire,UK
Link Posted 15/06/2010 - 18:31
Ratcatcher wrote:
I really like this image, hope you don't mind.

Please feel free to play with any image I post. I really like the "infra red" version - how did you do that?

(NOTE: I was burgled whilst away on holiday and my PC went walkies. I've now bought a new one with Windows 7. As a temporary measure, I've been using a freebie called "Photoscape" for photo editing but have now ordered Photoshop Elements 8 to replace my previously installed but not entirely kosher Photoshop 7 - so I might not be able to replicate the effect yet).

As an aside, Father Ted - most of the photos I take don't do much for me either. I've got very few (in about 4000 since I bought the K200D) that I would describe as keepers. It's high time that I started posting some on here - maybe if I listen to what folks say, I might improve a bit eventually. One of the main problems I have, I think, is that I don't spend enough time thinking about what I want to achieve before I fire the shutter - so it's usually entirely accidental if anything useful is captured. Maybe I need to take notice of Ken Rockwell when he says that folks should FART for Fantastic Photos.

Andrew
Flickr photostream


Ratcatcher

Member

Pentax Pro Master 525 posts
8 years
St Neots, Cambridgeshire
Link Posted 15/06/2010 - 18:39
After i had boosted the colour version in Elements clicked on enhance/convert to black & white/infared effect, done.
Richard

K5 + 55-300, A-50mm F1.7, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 17-50, SP90 DI Macro
Manfrotto 190XPROB-804RC2 Head


link Flickr
link PPG
Last Edited by Ratcatcher on 15/06/2010 - 18:40


andrewk

Plus Member

Pentax Pro Master 752 posts
6 years
Oldham, Lancashire,UK
Link Posted 15/06/2010 - 19:07
I've had another go at the tree image - with all of the processing being done in Rawtherapee (apart from the final resizing). I think the original was a bit blue. I don't know whether you guys think this version is an improvement - but, as far as I can recollect, it is pretty close to what it actually looked like on the day.





Andrew
Flickr photostream


Ratcatcher

Member

Pentax Pro Master 525 posts
8 years
St Neots, Cambridgeshire
Link Posted 15/06/2010 - 19:15
If it's what it looked like on the day you took it, then thats what photography is all about. We all like to play around with our images sometimes for the better, but sometimes not.
Its a very nice picture.
Richard

K5 + 55-300, A-50mm F1.7, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 17-50, SP90 DI Macro
Manfrotto 190XPROB-804RC2 Head


link Flickr
link PPG


Father Ted

Member

Pentax Pro Master 2,480 posts
6 years
Wirral
Link Posted 15/06/2010 - 21:08
andrewk wrote:
[quote:3496ace15f="Ratcatcher"]
As an aside, Father Ted - most of the photos I take don't do much for me either. I've got very few (in about 4000 since I bought the K200D) that I would describe as keepers. It's high time that I started posting some on here - maybe if I listen to what folks say, I might improve a bit eventually. One of the main problems I have, I think, is that I don't spend enough time thinking about what I want to achieve before I fire the shutter - so it's usually entirely accidental if anything useful is captured.

Andrew

D'you know? I could have written that myself
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K10d, *istDL, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.


Smeggypants

Member

Pentax Pro Master 7,576 posts
5 years
Smegland
Link Posted 16/06/2010 - 03:09
andrewk wrote:
Ratcatcher wrote:
I really like this image, hope you don't mind.

Please feel free to play with any image I post. I really like the "infra red" version - how did you do that?

(NOTE: I was burgled whilst away on holiday and my PC went walkies. I've now bought a new one with Windows 7. As a temporary measure, I've been using a freebie called "Photoscape" for photo editing but have now ordered Photoshop Elements 8 to replace my previously installed but not entirely kosher Photoshop 7 - so I might not be able to replicate the effect yet).

As an aside, Father Ted - most of the photos I take don't do much for me either. I've got very few (in about 4000 since I bought the K200D) that I would describe as keepers. It's high time that I started posting some on here - maybe if I listen to what folks say, I might improve a bit eventually. One of the main problems I have, I think, is that I don't spend enough time thinking about what I want to achieve before I fire the shutter - so it's usually entirely accidental if anything useful is captured. Maybe I need to take notice of Ken Rockwell when he says that folks should FART for Fantastic Photos.

Andrew

I think the FART says it all regarding that tree. It's a reasonably interesting tree, but the photograph presented here is just a shot from stand up eye level and any post processing won't alter that, even though the moody B&W is OK.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but abstract and more adventurous shooting angles, e.g laying down on the ground near the trunk and shooting upwards, or even climbing the tree and shooting outwards through the branches/ down te axis of the trunk, etc.

Anything but taking the photo standing up at eye level. I should take my own advice here more often as I don't FART often enough and simply F instead.

Even though it's shot from a lazy angle, i.e an angle that's comfortable to the stance of the photographer's body rather than what's best for the composition, my favourite here is the shot of the leaky tap. Nice contrast, and the shot sums up the scene well.

The Kielder Skyspace has so much potential for abstract shots, I'd go back and shoot again.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.

Connect with Pentax User
Official Partners
Latest Posts

Claim A Free Flucard With The Purchase Of A K-S1

Receive a free Flucard when purchasing a K-S1.

Posted in News

Claim Up To 70 Cashback From Pentax

The Pentax winter cashback promotion begins today on selected Pentax products.

Posted in News

HD PENTAX-DA 16-85mm F/3.5-5.6ED DC WR Lens

Ricoh Imaging UK has expanded the Pentax lens range with the introduction of a new zoom lens.

Posted in News

Ricoh Theta m15 Announced

Ricoh has announced the new Ricoh Theta m15, an update to the original Ricoh Theta, the new model...

Posted in News