lens to go with Pentax K5

First · Prev | 1 | Next · Last
ailurophile

New Member 6 posts
I am reasonably new to photography even though I have owned a pentax camera for some time.
I am thinking of buying a Pentax K5 DSLR. At this stage I cannot afford new lens. I have a Tamron AF90-300mm F/4.5-5.6 model 62D lens and a
Sigma 28-80mm F3.5 - 5.6 am.mf lens but no model number.
I have been told the lens will mount but I need to find out will the auto lens work, will the light meter register.

Someone sent me the following by email
Worst case scenarios: the light meter will not work with one or both lenses. You would then have to replace the lens or lenses. Another possibility is that the light meter will work fine but the autofocus doesn't work. In that case you could still use manual focus. Last would be that the light meter works fine and the autofocus works but autofocus is slow. Otherwise one or both lenses might work perfectly.

Has anyone used the PentaxK5 with the lens I have and what was your experience with it.
HappySnapper65

Pentax Master 161 posts
The Tamron will work with the K5, and the Sigma should do the same, I presume you have been using them on a Pentax MZ or similar.

It would help if you stated what Camera you were using them on.

Dave.
Auto110,MZ-30, K5, loads of Black Tubes with Glass in.
Helpful
ailurophile

New Member 6 posts
I was previously using them on aPentax Z-70. Thanks for your help. The K5 will be my first digital camera.
Stuey

Pentax Pro Master 4,059 posts
Link Posted 24/08/2012 - 12:33
Hello

I use m42 and k mount manual focus lenses with both my k5 and k10a s well as af versions.

For m42 the camera meters very well in av mode and also provides focus confirmation once the central point is in focus.

With mf kmount lenses I have to use the maual setting on the dial and press the green button to activate the metering.

Pentax SLR's are well renowned for their backwards compatability with lenses so, although I don't have the lenses you do I suspect that they will work fine.

THe af lens should be no issue and the mf ones as mentioned above.

Hope this helps

My flickr page has many examples of mf lenses in use if you want to take a peek

Cheers

Stu.
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link
ailurophile

New Member 6 posts
Thanks so much. This did help a lot and I took a look at your photos. Love the birds and insects ones.They were all very good.
Stuey

Pentax Pro Master 4,059 posts
Link Posted 26/08/2012 - 19:44
Thank you
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link
First · Prev | 1 | Next · Last
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.

Login to Pentax User

Username:
Password:
Remember me on
this computer
New to Pentax User? Register for free
Get more features, join Pentax User Plus.
Official Partners
Latest News and Articles

Pentax Release New DSLR With 'Innovative Illuminated Body'

Pentax has today released a new digital SLR camera, available in 12 fashionable colour variations.

HD Pentax DA645 28-45mm f/4.5ED AW SR Lens

New HD PENTAX DA645 28-45mm f/4.5 ED AW SR ultra-wide-angle zoom lens announced by Pentax.

Pentax Announce Q-S1 Mirrorless Camera

Pentax has announced the Q-S1, a stylish, super compact camera available in 40 colour combinations.

Pentax 645Z Medium Format DSLR Review

Read our full review of the Pentax 645Z - the most affordable 51.4 megapixel medium format camera...

Free Newsletter
Get our e-newsletter free in your inbox to receive the latest news about Pentax.