Lenses & spectacle cleaning

CoDa

Pentax Pro Master 1,383 posts
6 years
Bedford
Link Posted 14/06/2010 - 08:55
I wear glasses for reading & driving, and recently changed my glasses.

The thought occurred that glasses come with a cleaning cloth (silk I think?) could you use this and the glasses cleaning fluid to clean camera lenses.

Has anybody tried it, and what do people think about it.

Regards
Colin

“Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.”
Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)

Hardgravity

Pentax Pro Master 5,085 posts
6 years
Bradford,Yorkshire, UK
Link Posted 14/06/2010 - 14:10
Interesting Idea, I've tried a Glasses cloth on a cheap scope and old M42 lenses, but not a 'good' lenses...

....now where's a clean cloth?...
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K5+Tammy 18-250, a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

1947lcs

Pentax Master 211 posts
5 years
Berkshire
Link Posted 14/06/2010 - 14:44
I wear glasses that come from Spec Savers. They provide a cleaning cloth with the Pentax logo on it. I have tried this on my Tamron and it seems to be OK. Spec Saver use Pentax lens I think.

Les
K5, DAL18-55,SMC 50mm f2,DA 55-300, SCM F 35-70 and all the help I can get.

Anvh

Pentax Pro Master 10,412 posts
6 years
Dordrecht, the Netherlands
Link Posted 14/06/2010 - 15:38
Yeah the cloths are certainly okay, don't know about the fluids though but the coatings shouldn't differ so much I think.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

Hardgravity

6 years
Bradford,Yorkshire, UK
Link Posted 14/06/2010 - 16:39
Spec Savers use Pentax lenses, although they're not all glass, my reactions are plasti but work OK.
Cheers, HG

Dangermouse

Pentax Pro Master 3,603 posts
5 years
Mid Wales
Link Posted 14/06/2010 - 18:09
I use computer monitor cleaning spray if I buy a lens which is really grubby, it doesn't seem to harm the coatings. I've also used glasses cleaning spray although that stuff is a bit expensive.

The main thing is to make sure that the cloth you use isn't abrasive and has no dust or grit on it. I tend to use a fresh cotton bud for wet cleaning of lenses then follow up with the lens pen to polish off any watermarks left by the fluid.

I doubt I'd use the same cloth for glasses and lenses though - have you seen the state your glasses get into after wearing them while cooking with a frying pan?
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

Hardgravity

6 years
Bradford,Yorkshire, UK
Link Posted 14/06/2010 - 18:33
Quote:
have you seen the state your glasses get into after wearing them while cooking with a frying pan

No. I can't see a thing after frying!
Cheers, HG

prsjnb

Pentax Pro Master 386 posts
4 years
Wiltshire, U.K.
Link Posted 14/06/2010 - 19:36
These days, I try to avoid cleaning lenses unless absolutely necessary. When I have to, a product I have found to work well with filters and lenses is 'Calocoat' which can be used with 'Calocloth' or any other high quality microfibre cloth. I always spray a little onto the cloth and not directly onto the filter/lens when cleaning and always use a 'blower' to remove dust/particulates first. Unlike so many other cleaning products I have had the misfortune to buy/try, this combination does not leave residual 'smears'; even on Hoya Pro-1 filters, which in my experience are a real bugger to clean.

Both the cleaner and cloth are remarkably inexpensive and can be obtained from 7dayshop.com

Regards,

Jon

terje-l

Pentax Pro Master 1,384 posts
6 years
Horten, Norway
Link Posted 14/06/2010 - 21:50
The Pentax lens cloth is the best I've ever used to clean my spectacles. I went to get a couple every time I went to Britain. Now SpecSavers have opened shops in Norway, so maybe I can get the cloth locally hereafter.
Best regards
Terry

K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.

Connect with Pentax User
Official Partners
Latest Posts

Pentax Cashback, Offers & Free Accessories!

Pentax is currently running several promotions, including cashbacks and a free Flucard offer.

Posted in News

Claim A Free Flucard With The Purchase Of A K-S1

Receive a free Flucard when purchasing a K-S1.

Posted in News

Claim Up To £70 Cashback From Pentax

The Pentax winter cashback promotion begins today on selected Pentax products.

Posted in News

HD PENTAX-DA 16-85mm F/3.5-5.6ED DC WR Lens

Ricoh Imaging UK has expanded the Pentax lens range with the introduction of a new zoom lens.

Posted in News