Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

New Pentax User Redesign Screenshots

davidburleson
Posted 16/10/2014 - 15:00 Link
Hi Everyone,

Over the past couple of months, the team has been working on a fresh, up-to-date re-design for Pentax User.

We are now pleased to announce the the redesign is now complete and would love to share a few screeshots before we update the site.

The purpose of the redesign was to not only make the site feel more up-to-date and fresh, but to also de-clutter and remove distracting design elements and thus improve easy-of-use. The new design puts more emphasis on what's important, the content on the page. Gone are all the heavy bold blacks and greys which are now replaced with open, spacious light greys and white. The new colour pallete makes it easier to scan and pick out important information. We've also increased the text size to make it easier to read.

This is only the first step of a long list of developments we have in the pipeline to improve the features available and overall enjoyment of the site.

Without further delay, please have a look at the screenshots below. We welcome any comments you guys may have.

Homepage:

Comment Image

(really old) News Post:

Comment Image

Gallery:

Comment Image

Photo:

Comment Image

Profile:

Comment Image

Forums:

Comment Image

Forum Recent Activity:

Comment Image

Forum Topic:

Comment Image
Having problems? We're here to help! Contact PU Support.
Edited by davidburleson: 16/10/2014 - 15:03
Hullman
Posted 16/10/2014 - 15:12 Link
looks great to me, when's it due to go live ?
FF: Pentax K-1, D-FA* 70-200, D-FA 24-70, D-FA 100, D-FA 28-105, FA 77, FA 43
APSC: K3, K5, DA*50-135, DA*300, Sigma 17-50, Sigma 10-20, 18-55mm, DA 55-300mm, DA35, 1.4TC
4/3: Q10, Q, 01, 02, 06
Fuji XT1, XF18-55, XF27
davidburleson
Posted 16/10/2014 - 15:17 Link
Hullman wrote:
looks great to me, when's it due to go live ?

We'll be looking at sometime next month, possibly early next month.
ilovesaabs
Posted 16/10/2014 - 15:21 Link
I like it.
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff
bforbes
Posted 16/10/2014 - 15:21 Link
Is it a cosmetic redesign or has some of the content changed as well?
wasleys
Posted 16/10/2014 - 15:29 Link
Forum pages look to suffer from usual redesign failing of too much white space leading to less content and more scrolling.
McGregNi
Posted 16/10/2014 - 15:36 Link
It looks modern and clean, refreshing. I like the button styles and fonts ... There seems to be good use of space, I don't see any large areas of wasted space? I think its good ... More attractive, and being refreshing in itself will encourage more involvement... Good work so far!
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Edited by McGregNi: 16/10/2014 - 15:40
davidburleson
Posted 16/10/2014 - 15:41 Link
Thank you all for all the rapid feedback already!

bforbes wrote:
Is it a cosmetic redesign or has some of the content changed as well?

It's mostly cosmetic with only a few changes to the position of some page elements.

wasleys wrote:
Forum pages look to suffer from usual redesign failing of too much white space leading to less content and more scrolling.

That's feedback we will keep in mind. No doubt there will be places where usage of space can be improved.

McGregNi wrote:
It looks modern and clean, refreshing. I like the button styles and fonts ... There seems to be good use of space, I don't see any large areas of wasted size? I think its good ... More attractive, and being refreshing in itself will encourage more involvement... Good work so far!

That's what we think as well.
Posted 16/10/2014 - 16:00 Link
Looks very similar to the Ephotozine format.

Are you therefore getting rid of the micro site on Ephotozine and replacing it with links to PU???
alfpics
Posted 16/10/2014 - 16:39 Link
wasleys wrote:

That is my thought as well - it seems to be following the ePz design which I guess has been done to enable easier viewing on mobile devices, but as someone who still uses a desktop and a large screen, it is less appealing. Sorry to be negative!
Andy
Algernon
Posted 16/10/2014 - 18:39 Link
Absolutely terrible... Too much whitespace Not quite as bad as Flickr, but still like some of the old badly designed sites such as Photo.net....

http://photo.net/pentax-camera-forum/00VuZj

And why do sites give such prominence to Facebook and Twitter.... I don't think many on here bother with them. I'm sure SRS will be happy that you have moved them lower down for the FaceTwits

If it ain't broke don't fix it

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
McGregNi
Posted 16/10/2014 - 19:47 Link
I like the look of the new 'Recent Gallery Photos' display on the front page, the different shapes of the images and the thin separaters look good, it invites more exploration of the photos themselves. We know the site structure overall wasn't broke, but a change of look, when keeping the main structure intact, will add interest and encourage involvement IMO. And should prompt people to explore areas they hadn't before, and maybe get to more content quickly.

I'd better stop or someone will come on thinking I'm a PU staff member ...
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Edited by McGregNi: 16/10/2014 - 19:50
AndrewA
Posted 16/10/2014 - 20:08 Link
I like it, from a users perspective the changes don't look like they will cause us any navigational issues.

Nothing wrong with the white space, it is clean and clear.

Nice to see one of my shots used in the Gallery screen shot too

Plus as much as I loved my K200d, it is time it made way from its place of pride on the home page!
Andrew

"I'm here because the whiskey is free" - Tyla

PPG link
Flickr link
Edited by AndrewA: 16/10/2014 - 20:20
michaelblue
Posted 16/10/2014 - 20:28 Link
Get rid of the facebook and twitter links. I'm sick of being told to "Connect to facebook", "Like us on facebook" etc.
Regards,
Michael
jules
Posted 17/10/2014 - 15:10 Link
michaelblue wrote:
Get rid of the facebook and twitter links. I'm sick of being told to "Connect to facebook", "Like us on facebook" etc.

+1

Looks quite reminiscent of the American Pentax sites, new Front page design, quite refreshing to look at but perhaps a little "too spacey" as others have said but it looks good and modern, I suppose being modern we have to have ter(d)-face and book-twit, so you may as well add in Google-plus and Pintrest etc etc add infinitum...
Overall it may attract more people and that can only be good really, we have to look fresh for new K-S1 users
Cheers Jules...

My viewfinder is 576,000,000 pixels.
My other viewfinder is 5.76,000,000.

www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
Edited by jules: 17/10/2014 - 15:11

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.