Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Newbie - New Kx, Flash not working?

kiwimel
Posted 13/07/2010 - 14:08 Link
OK - I am completely new to the whole DSLR world and so I have quite a few questions. Please excuse me if I seem completely stupid to you all but I'm still learning!

1. Does anyone know of a worthwhile Beginners DSLR course I could take in my spare time? I could spend hours trwaling the net but if you have suggestions of some that you have attended then I would be extremely grateful.

2. My flash wont work I only got my camera 2 weeks ago and now whether I use it in manual mode or auto made the flash will pop up but nothing happens? I cant work out whats happened?

3. My parents gifted me my camera for my engagement present. I was so excited! Now I am thinking it may be faulty. I have the warranty but my parents live in Tokyo (Where they purchased it) and it is all in Japanese. Do I have to send it back to Japan???? Or can I get it sorted in the UK?

Many thanks in advance and I'm sorry if these are silly questions.
Pentaxophile
Posted 13/07/2010 - 14:59 Link
I think the flash control is accessed via the fn button on the back. You can download a manual from Pentax's website!

Welcome to the forum btw!
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
JohnX
Posted 13/07/2010 - 15:15 Link
Transit
Posted 16/07/2010 - 03:45 Link
kiwimel wrote:
OK - I am completely new to the whole DSLR world and so I have quite a few questions. Please excuse me if I seem completely stupid to you all but I'm still learning!

Hi and welcome.
Ask as many questions as you like
Great camera the K-x.
I'm sure someone will be along with DSLR learner course shortly !
Pete
K-1 K-01 Q-7
some len

Close to the Edge
Down by the River
Edited by Transit: 16/07/2010 - 03:46
johnriley
Posted 16/07/2010 - 08:43 Link
If you are a complete beginner, don't forget that when you take a picture the mirror flips up and down again, but for a moment your view through the viewfinder goes blank. You may not notice the flash has gone off, so ask someone else if it has.

Also check that the flash is set to go off and flip it up first as it probably won't flip up by itself, unlike many hybrids.
Best regards, John
flossie
Posted 16/07/2010 - 08:54 Link
To check, I just when through this with my Kx :

- Wheel at the top is NOT in the "no flash" mode (next to "M"). Any other mode will be fine (Av, M, Green, etc...)

- Press the flash symbol under "OK" on the back, and select "Manual" (first option) or second "Red Eye". Press OK.

- Press the Flash Pop-Up button (above screen, top left).

- Fire shot (take lens cap off so doesn't hunt...) without looking through the viewfinder. Live View will slow things down but will still work.

If you still don't get any flash... erm, not sure. Maybe find a friendly pentax dealer to take a look? Putting an external flash on the top would tell you if the internal flash is faulty - would be covered under warrantee if so, but don't know how the international aspect works. Hopefully its not faulty, though!

(I've never had the flash pop-up of its own accord, even when I tried Green Mode. But I had to laugh when I saw a Canon user on a tube station in broad daylight take a picture and his flash popped-up and fired...)
Still shooting in the dark (literally and metaphorically)...
Edited by flossie: 16/07/2010 - 09:21
Dangermouse
Posted 16/07/2010 - 09:42 Link
I'm not sure if it's set up in the same way as my K-m, but as delivered that would automatically pop the flash up in green mode and fire it as and when it felt the need. I swiftly discovered how to turn it off, so that the flash only comes up when I press the button (otherwise the camera meters and shoots without it). This will avoid the "flashgun firing into thin air" problem that seems to plague a lot of photographers.

One trick (that I've been using of late to check that the camera is recognising an external flash): Take the lens cap off, point at a dimly-lit subject and half press the shutter to make it focus and meter. Keep an eye on the aperture and shutter speed settings, then pop the flash up. They should change to take account of the fact that the flash will be boosting the available light.

You could also try taking a photo of a dimly lit reflective surface - if the flash is working you'll see a burst of light in the resulting image.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.