Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Noise Reduction

coker
Posted 29/01/2015 - 16:18 Link
Just for general interest & for those who haven't come across it before, I thought I'd show the effect of using Neat Image for noise reduction.

Below are a before & after pair.......

Before
Comment Image

After
Comment Image

I've used NI for some time & I think it's really good. It's also free!

The only (slight) disadvantage is that it doesn't retain the exif, well not in the free version, anyway.

Any thoughts?

Roger.
The more I look, the more there is to see!
johnriley
Posted 29/01/2015 - 17:01 Link
Unfortunately it also takes the edge off the fine detail. Personally, I'd rather have the small amount of noise.
Best regards, John
wvbarnes
Posted 29/01/2015 - 18:23 Link
Personally i try to take alternative shots with slightly wider aperture and slower shutter speed if wildlife reasonably static. F5.6 at 1/320th would maybe have helped here.

Too harsh sharpening accentuates grain in poor light shots too I find. I agree with John.
richandfleur
Posted 29/01/2015 - 19:24 Link
johnriley wrote:
Unfortunately it also takes the edge off the fine detail.

Ideally you want to be using something that allows for targeted adjustment of specific areas, or at least the ability to back off the noise reduction in areas of fine detail etc.
Smeggypants
Posted 29/01/2015 - 21:14 Link
richandfleur wrote:
johnriley wrote:
Unfortunately it also takes the edge off the fine detail.

Ideally you want to be using something that allows for targeted adjustment of specific areas, or at least the ability to back off the noise reduction in areas of fine detail etc.

Like Lightroom
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
McGregNi
Posted 29/01/2015 - 22:22 Link
Or Topaz DeNoise! Here you have a ' counter control' for DeBlur and Restore Detail which automatically pull back clarity lost as related to the actual texture complexity of the noise reduced surfaces. Ideally you'd use it on a PS duplicate layer to wipe away or precisely control the amount required for each key zone of the image (eg sky / ground).

Of course all this is not to say that the OPs choice of software does not offer further control ... Does Neat Image come in a PhotoShop plugin form? This will always offer the most sophisticated control over application via the layer process, whatever the effect being applied.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Edited by McGregNi: 29/01/2015 - 22:24
cabstar
Posted 29/01/2015 - 23:54 Link
Or DxO 8. It's free and does a great job of reducing noise and sharpening.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
nanhi
Posted 30/01/2015 - 13:55 Link
coker wrote:
Just for general interest & for those who haven't come across it before, I thought I'd show the effect of using Neat Image for noise reduction.
Below are a before & after pair.......
Before
Comment Image

After
Comment Image

I've used NI for some time & I think it's really good. It's also free!
The only (slight) disadvantage is that it doesn't retain the exif, well not in the free version, anyway.
Any thoughts?
Roger.

In the first instance I fail to understand how you got a great sunshine photo with so much noise???
Secondly the 2nd PPd photo does not have the punch as the original. Even the bird, the subject matter of this great shot, has lost its sheen and sharpness.
Regards.
gwing
Posted 31/01/2015 - 15:06 Link
Well, I much prefer the NI processed image than the original horribly noisy one.

but

With any of the modern Pentax sensors you are *really* going to have to try hard to get that much noise in a daylight shot. With decent light, sensible settings and restrained processing noise simply isn't visible enough to be an issue.

And the processed image has lost some fine detail and micro contrast, other tools may well do it better and we all have our favourites - mine's darktable but as a general rule any tool that lets you apply different processing to selected areas of the image is going to be better than some global compromise on denoise values
coker
Posted 01/02/2015 - 14:32 Link
Thanks, all, for your most interesting & useful thoughts!

I shall return to the drawing board re noise reduction, then.
Particularly in respect of more careful exposure in the first place and more critical noise reduction in post-processing, if and when necessary!

Thanks again,

Roger.
The more I look, the more there is to see!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.