Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Off Camera Flash methods

Peter Elgar
Posted 14/05/2014 - 10:57 Link
Thought I would show two methods of 'Off Camera Flash' I use -- the camera is my 1974 ASAHI PENTAX SPOTMATIC F which has a 'hot shoe' and the flash is the infamous VIVITAR 283 -- my one is the 'Made in Japan' version so it probably has the 'high trigger voltage' which could damage modern 'digital' cameras -- NO WORRIES with 'old PENTAXES !! ' THIS one shows the Vivitar with the 'extension cable. -- the sensor is removable and put onto the hot shoe attachment so it faces the subject and measures the reflected light -- I hold flash to the side and above the camera.
Comment Image
Off-Camera-01 by pentaxpete, on Flickr
THIS one shows my 'Wireless Trigger; set-up the YONGNUO CTR-301P -- the 'trigger' sits on the Hot Shoe and the 'receiver' is on base of flash so flash can be much further away than the length of the extension cable -- don't forget to set the correct maximum flash synch speed which on this camera is 1/60th second.
Comment Image
Off-Camera-02 by pentaxpete, on Flickr
been a member of Pentax Club since the Ron Spillman era! Got COMPUTERISED at last - DIGITISED? Taken the PLUNGE - BUT FILM STILL RULES !!!
johnha
Posted 14/05/2014 - 21:35 Link
I have two 'Made in Japan' 283's, one of them puts 273v (two seven three) across the contacts, the other only 13v. The 273v one has red tape on it for ID and I only use it on a cheap optical slave. I only use the 13v one on manual focus 35mm SLRs or medium format film cameras.

Still an incredibly versatile flash system - I have the same remote sensor cord and a couple of vari-power modules somewhere.
jemx99
Posted 20/07/2014 - 14:42 Link
Good post Peter (I know it was from May - only just noticed though). Ah the 283 - was quite a workhorse for quite a lot of people - and still seems to be. I love how lots of old gear, be it a lens, camera or flash is still very useable years after they were made.
gartmore
Posted 20/07/2014 - 18:02 Link
The Vivitar 365 was my favourite, what a beast and amazingly versatile. I can't remember what happened to it.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.