Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Pentax 85mm f/1.4

K10D
Posted 17/02/2012 - 13:22 Link
Here's a peach of a lens. Just needs a good home. link
Inspiration is rarer than a plate glass camera.....
Spaceman_Spiff
Posted 21/02/2012 - 01:51 Link
And someone with deeper pockets than me, worse luck. It's always nice to be shown new lenses though, even just for personal interest, so thanks for sharing the link!
Better equipment enhances my ability to display my shortcomings.
K10D
Posted 21/02/2012 - 02:20 Link
Some prices are a tad high. The Samyang has a very good performance though.

Best regards
Inspiration is rarer than a plate glass camera.....
timothyw
Posted 21/02/2012 - 09:40 Link
Nicholas Camera in Camden have an A* 85mm in stock, but as you can see here the condition is pretty poor cosmetically:

Comment Image

Anyhow, I took a set in case anyone is interested-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ruklaw/sets/72157629255272401/with/6850698551/

He was asking £800, which is a bit cheaper than the one in the states, although the quality is, as you can see a bit worse! Optically and mechanically seemed fine however.
bretbysteve
Posted 26/02/2012 - 18:44 Link
Never even think of buying anything from that shop...

read this: https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/topic/anybody-brave-and-live-work-near-campden-...
Transit
Posted 26/02/2012 - 21:42 Link
Hilarious description of this shop by "Steve M" in that linked thread
What a boring world it would be without the occasional shop that has
".... a huge pile of boxes, tripods, other equipment and assorted rubbish heaped up in a 'bonfire' style. it was about 3 feet high and about SIX feet across..... "
Sounds like a great photo opportunity
Pete
K-1 K-01 Q-7
some len

Close to the Edge
Down by the River
AndrewH
Posted 26/02/2012 - 21:43 Link
The background in some of Tim's pictures would have been enough to put me off!
womble
Posted 26/02/2012 - 22:11 Link
I'd love one of these (who wouldn't?) but somewhat out of my league price-wise.

Why is it that most of the top quality star lenses are in places like Singapore, Hong Kong or Japan and are listed for a freakin' fortune?

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
George Lazarette
Posted 26/02/2012 - 22:51 Link
womble wrote:
I'd love one of these (who wouldn't?) but somewhat out of my league price-wise.

Why is it that most of the top quality star lenses are in places like Singapore, Hong Kong or Japan and are listed for a freakin' fortune?

K.

Cuz that's where the money is!

(To quote Willie Sutton.)

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
rparmar
Posted 27/02/2012 - 00:40 Link
The FA77 is was built on the A*85 formula and is the natural successor. You lose a bit of light, so anyone who really must shoot at f/1.4 should not bother. Otherwise it's smaller, cheaper, and looks nicer.
Listen to my albums free on BandCamp. Or visit my main website for links to photography, etc.
Spaceman_Spiff
Posted 27/02/2012 - 01:32 Link
... and it's also an amazing lens that's worth the money. I'm very happy with mine
bretbysteve
Posted 27/02/2012 - 10:50 Link
"Sounds like a great photo opportunity"

Unfortunately, I could not get a good shot through the front door and REALLY did'nt want to risk life & limb (and contracting various possible diseases) by going inside....
jeffstclair
Posted 27/02/2012 - 11:27 Link
When I lived in the UK I loved shops like this , we don't have second hand shops here at all. .... jeff...
Spaceman_Spiff
Posted 27/02/2012 - 11:58 Link
I approve of second hand shops, but I only support those that genuinely love and care for the product they sell. Anyone who shovels their stock into piles, leaves lenses laying around in dusty conditions with no lens caps over the optics, and generally operates in a pig sty clearly has no respect for what they sell. That being the case they can't have any respect for their customers either. I want to see sellers with pride, not disdain

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.