Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Pentax in Comp photo rights grab

NeilP
Posted 23/04/2012 - 21:56 Link
I noticed on their Facebook page Pentax UK were advertising a photo comp for photos taken in Cairngorms. Having visited there last month I leapt to enter until I noticed Daniel Bridge (as in the forum member) had spotted in the T + C:

"By entering the Competition, all entrants grant to CBP an exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free and non-transferrable licence to use, publish, display and exhibit their Entries in print, on their website or in any other media in all promotion and marketing material and online in the future. No fees will be payable for any of the above uses."

Not going to do Pentax's image any favours and I certainly won't be entering. That exclusive word makes me wonder if I'll even be able to print the photos or put them on my own website!
JAK
Posted 23/04/2012 - 22:08 Link
I cannot see any Term and Conditions? Do you have to sign up to facebook for that? If so I'll pass.

Why should a competition like that require one to sign up to a third party website that is nothing to do with either the Cairngorms or Ricoh Pentax?

John
John K
Gwyn
Posted 23/04/2012 - 22:11 Link
I couldn't see any T&C either, and can't be bothered with Facebook.

Those conditions quoted though are pretty standard for photo competitions, including the exclusive bit.
cabstar
Posted 23/04/2012 - 22:17 Link
Your giving them s licence to do with them as you please not the copyright. Its written by a lawyer who doesn't know any better... You keep your copyright...
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
steven9761
Posted 23/04/2012 - 22:17 Link
It seems that more and more competitions these days requires entrants to participate via Facebook - from Ricoh Pentax, to Tennents Lager, to Visit Cairngorms, and I also notice that Mirror Group Newspapers require that anybody wishing to comment on news articles on their websites can only do so by granting MGN access to your profile in Facebook too!! It seems that Facebook has more control over our lives than we realise, and I can see the day coming when Mark Zuckerburg (FB founder) feels the backlash. Anybody with a Facebook account is gonna realise just how intrusive and manipulative it is when they attempt to permanently delete their profile!

I'll stick to competitions on sites such as this, where I still have freedom of choice and a greater degree of control of personal information, thanks!
Edited by steven9761: 23/04/2012 - 22:18
fatspider
Posted 23/04/2012 - 22:19 Link
Agree with Gwynn, quite common practice with many photo comps. its a cheap way of gathering a stock of usable pics, they give the winner a couple of grands worth of kit and in return get hundreds of royalty free images, a lot cheaper than using an image library or employing a pro.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
JAK
Posted 23/04/2012 - 22:24 Link
Ah well.

If one is supplied with a super £850 camera as a prize then there is some justification in claiming rights to use the photograph without further payment. Passing copyright over is another mater though. If Jo Bloggs enters his shot and it gets nowhere but that gets used by said company, then it looks to be verging on theft, with the company hiding behind its T&C as a get out.

Surprised Pentax wish to put their name to it and get involved. I'm sure there are better ways they can seek publicity.

John
John K
fatspider
Posted 23/04/2012 - 22:33 Link
Are we really bothered?, winner will probably be a canon user
My PPG link
My Flckr link
JAK
Posted 23/04/2012 - 22:42 Link
fatspider wrote:
Are we really bothered?, winner will probably be a canon user

What will he do with his shiny new K5 then?

John
John K
davidtrout
Posted 23/04/2012 - 23:04 Link
The small print makes it quite clear that the copyright remains with the photographer.
David

PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout
Edited by davidtrout: 23/04/2012 - 23:05
JAK
Posted 23/04/2012 - 23:08 Link
But it seems the entries go to Facebook, not PPG.

I cannot view the T&C as I'm not a Facebooker or whatever the users might be called!

John
John K
Edited by JAK: 23/04/2012 - 23:09
cabstar
Posted 23/04/2012 - 23:08 Link
Written by lazy lawyers to cover all potential pitfalls, but these are often written so aggresively...
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
fatspider
Posted 23/04/2012 - 23:09 Link
PPG? that's just David sig. nothing to do with the topic.

EDIT, PS: just had a look through your PPG again David, some very nice additions since my last visit.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
Edited by fatspider: 23/04/2012 - 23:11
johnriley
Posted 23/04/2012 - 23:11 Link
The main purpose of these seemingly catch-all situations, as I understand it, is to enable the use of the images on the web in all countries and in anything to do with the competition itself.

Looking at it the other way round, I have had situations where I've been glad I had a proper model release, which too had been worded pretty widely to cover all possible uses.

Keeping copyright is the essential bit IMHO. I agree though we need to scrutinise very carefully what we are agreeing to.
Best regards, John

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.