Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Pentax launch the Q

J0van43
Posted 23/06/2011 - 16:24 Link
I have been hoping for a K-mount, APS-C sensor mirrorless camera and am therefore deeply disappointed. This Q thing makes no sense at all. Anyone who is happy with that kind of sensor probably does not need interchangeable lenses. A Canon S95 makes much more sense for anyone after an upmarket compact. And THREE different lens mounts from one company! Are they mad? I have to say that I think the thing is ugly, anyway. I want Pentax to succeed but I shall be amazed if this helps.
johnriley
Posted 23/06/2011 - 16:26 Link
Where do the three lens mounts come from?
Best regards, John
Daniel Bridge
Posted 23/06/2011 - 16:42 Link
johnriley wrote:

Q, K and 645.

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...
Don
Posted 23/06/2011 - 16:48 Link
Daniel Bridge wrote:
johnriley wrote:

Q, K and 645.

Dan

Pentax also makes many c mount, medical, binocular, and compact camera lenses... no new news here, to be honest...
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Edited by Don: 23/06/2011 - 16:49
johnriley
Posted 23/06/2011 - 17:01 Link
Q, K, 110, 645, 67....plus varieties of K. Going back a while there's also M42 and Asahiflex.
Best regards, John
Pentaxophile
Posted 23/06/2011 - 17:03 Link
To Jovan - there IS a further camera to be announced later this year, probably with K-mount. I think they should have announced it first, as there is already pent-up demand for such a product. As far as being ugly... I strongly disagree, although I really don't like the off-white version, which looks 'antiqued' (or nicotine stained!) I expected to hate the Q, but I'm actually finding myself won over - apart from the cost!

I hope the sensor finds its way into cheaper Pentax compacts.

ISO 6400: link

Looks handsome in black, IMO!

Comment Image
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Edited by Pentaxophile: 23/06/2011 - 17:04
Don
Posted 23/06/2011 - 17:14 Link
I was NOT kidding (link a few posts back) read up on these lenses!

they seem to have the af system from the 18-135 and built in nd filters, these puppies are advanced and I hope to see a k mount version of that zoom for video shooters!

flash syncs up to 1/2000!

Wide open apertures in daylight is easily possible for shallow dof with fill flash!
Even the k5 cannot do that! (without an external hs flash)
Edited by Don: 23/06/2011 - 17:17
Greytop
Posted 23/06/2011 - 17:24 Link
I have to say Pentax should be applauded for trying something different in the compact interchangeable lens camera market. It really does look a lovely little camera.

On the other side of the coin I wonder really who they are aiming at with the combination of price and likely LX3-5/XZ-1 level of image quality. Maybe it will start a new niche between compacts and EVILs but at the moment it's more expensive than many larger sensor EVIL offerings.

I hope the Pentax market research department are on the ball with this one like they've been with the K-5 / K-7

Sure is a cute little camera though....
Regards Huw

flickr
Don
Posted 23/06/2011 - 17:25 Link
Somebody at Pentax would be wise to send me a loaner, for a video shoot, I'm convinced it can do "PRo" quality video, in the right hands...

that flash pops up and over! definately a bonus and a sighn that a big telephoto is being considered!
Edited by Don: 23/06/2011 - 17:26
Smeggypants
Posted 23/06/2011 - 18:38 Link
Don wrote:

If Pentax can do with this Sony sensor what they did with the k5's sony sensor... it won't match the k5, but it will meet or exceed the 4/3's and also have a mass market appeal like none before it.

the k5 does in fact hold it's own against cameras with larger sensors according to dxo labs, after all...

I already have a camera with this backlit sony exmor R sensor in my Sony TX-5

The IQ is better than the sensor in my previous Sony Compact, the T900. but I can't imagine it would meet the quality of a much bigger 4/3rds sensor which has probably 10 times the area .... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_sensor_format

Once you get over ISO200 image Q degrades considerably, and some awful noise reduction is used.

So for a small compact costing a couple of hundred quid the senor is very good, but for somrthing costing nearly 600 quid.... nope.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Edited by Smeggypants: 23/06/2011 - 18:40
Smeggypants
Posted 23/06/2011 - 18:44 Link
Although I'm pleased to say it shoots RAW ( DNG not PEF ? )

http://www.pentax.co.uk/en/digital-mirrorless/specifications/PENTAX-Q
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
hefty1
Posted 23/06/2011 - 18:45 Link
I want one of these! I only bought my Canon G12 because Pentax didn't offer a compact with manual controls and a hotshoe - now they do I feel a part-ex coming on...

It seems there are a lot of folk (from what I've read so far) who just don't "get" this camera. Stop thinking of it as a poor man's DSLR and instead think of it as the ultimate pocket digicam - once the street price comes down (and it will) to G12/LX5 levels these will fly off the shelves.

Well done Pentax!
Joining the Q
Pentaxophile
Posted 23/06/2011 - 18:59 Link
The images on imaging resource were initially at 2000 x 1500, and looked ace at iso1600. Better than samples I have seen from the TX5 which is good for a compact. Sensor development moves on all the time. Of course a bigger sensor would be better, but we knew this was coming, and within the constraints of a tiny sensor I think they've done really well. I was fearful that they'd use the sensor from the RS100 or something- that really would have been a shame!

Then factor in that the bright 1.9 lens will mean you probably won't need such high iso's, and things don't look so bad.

I certainly wouldn't spend 600.00 on it, but really it's not so awful, and it's not like they're forcing anyone to buy it!
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Don
Posted 23/06/2011 - 19:05 Link
I suspect this will be a huge leap forward from my old g5 I used to love, and these are LEAF SHUTTER lenses with built in ND filters!

I anticipate that if a bigger version of this hits the market in the fall with a standard kmount, Pentax will lay cllaim to BOTH the smallest ilc system and the highest quality sensor EVER in an evil cam come this fall when the NC-1 comes out.
womble
Posted 23/06/2011 - 19:34 Link
I love the way people diss a new product before it is even available. The market will decide whether Pentax have got this right or not.

As to why they put their money into this and not a super-telephoto? Because they will almost certainly make more money from it.

Just because a product isn't something you want, doesn't make it a bad product. I hope that those people shouting "fail" so loudly are made to eat their words, but only because that will mean Pentax is making money. It is in all our interests for Pentax to remain a viable and competitive company.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.