Pentax X5 lens won't retract :(

First · Prev | 1 | Next · Last
CAM

New Member 3 posts
Hi

I wonder if anyone can help... I was taking a zoomed photo using my Pentax X-5 and the battery depleted but the lens didn't retract before it turned off. Now I can not turn it back on as it asks "Please confirm the lens cap is removed" then turns back off before I can do anything.

Has anyone come across this before and know of any solution?

Kind Regards
Ceri
JohnX

Pentax Pro Master 1,508 posts
Link Posted 27/06/2013 - 20:32
Can't offer a solution, but unfortunately I've seen this posted a few times. If in warranty, then in for repair.
CAM

New Member 3 posts
Thanx, yeh I was afraid of that only had it 3 weeks.
steven9761

Pentax User Plus Member
Pentax Pro Master 1,217 posts
Link Posted 27/06/2013 - 21:57
Try depressing the shutter button whilst the camera is switched off, then (whilst keeping the shutter button pressed) power up the camera. It might fool the camera into thinking you have just taken a bulb exposure. If it was the internal mechanism that's busted, you would hear a plasticky rattling when you shake it.
CAM

New Member 3 posts
Thanx Steven but unfortunately it didn't work. No rattling either. I'm going to try connecting it to the computer and see if it will keep it on long enough for me to try a reset but will have to wait until Sunday when I'm home
steven9761

Pentax User Plus Member
Pentax Pro Master 1,217 posts
Link Posted 27/06/2013 - 22:44
Remove the battery now, then on Sunday the camera should be drained of any residual energy. Loading a fully-charged battery might give it a "kick" to get it working again. You could always try gently (not forcibly) pushing the lens towards its retracted position whilst simultaneously powering up the camera - sort of like "jump-starting" a car.
Peatburner

New Member 1 posts
I tried all the sugestions but the only one that worked was to gently help the lens to retract.
A huge relief when it worked!
Aero

Pentax Pro Master 430 posts
Link Posted 19/10/2014 - 18:18
A friend of mine had a similar but not identical problem with his X5 a few months ago. It was slightly out of warranty, but he sent it to Johnsons Photopia and they repaired it FOC. They said they'd replaced part of the zoom or focusing mechanism (can't remember which). I'd have it checked out ASAP.

Al
First · Prev | 1 | Next · Last
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.

Login to Pentax User

Username:
Password:
Remember me on
this computer
New to Pentax User? Register for free
Get more features, join Pentax User Plus.
Official Partners
Latest News and Articles

HD PENTAX-DA 16-85mm F/3.5-5.6ED DC WR Lens

Ricoh Imaging UK has expanded the Pentax lens range with the introduction of a new zoom lens.

Ricoh Theta m15 Announced

Ricoh has announced the new Ricoh Theta m15, an update to the original Ricoh Theta, the new model...

Special Edition Pentax K-S1 Trio Announced

The Pentax K-S1 Sweets Collection adds three new colours to the DSLR range.

Pentax User Plus Competition Winner

Find out who has won the latest Pentax User Plus competition.

Free Newsletter
Get our e-newsletter free in your inbox to receive the latest news about Pentax.