Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Sigma 85 1.4

carmagw
Posted 18/10/2011 - 13:34 Link
This looks quite an interesting lens and I was wondering if anyone on the forum has it, what your thoughts were etc.

Of the few reviews I've found they're generally very positive, with some nice pictures to back it up.

Any comments appreciated.

Regards

George
Frogfish
Posted 18/10/2011 - 14:10 Link
I was very recently reading the blog of a Nikon shooter that has put his Nikon 85/1.4G away in favour of this lens. Very highly rated. Google is your friend
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
lemmy
Posted 22/10/2011 - 16:50 Link
I have one, bought a few months ago. The first one I bought was very eccentric, it would focus perfectly, then not, then hunt around.

I took it back (to MicroGlobe) and they gave me a replacement. Chalk and cheese. A very, very sharp lens, by f2.8 as sharp as any I have.

It is very usable at f1.4 though you need to be very careful over your focussing accuracy! By f2 it is as sharp as you'd need and at f2.8 truly excellent. I tried the Pentax equivalent but found that by comparison it lacked contrast wide open - and is far too expensive. I don't hesitate to use the Sigma wide open and you can see why from the pix I've posted.

I find the 50mm lens one of the most useful in my bag and it is the one I generally leave on the camera.

I have posted some examples of the lens performance here

It's a big lens but very handsome on camera, as you can see below though the appearmace of a lens holds no interest for me whatever, of course Comment Image

This is a scene I did with it at Richmond Hill last weekend.

Comment Image
Mike-P
Posted 22/10/2011 - 17:23 Link
lemmy wrote:

I have posted some examples of the lens performance here

you seek a web page
dthorpe.net does not have it
we are ashamed
lemmy
Posted 22/10/2011 - 22:51 Link
Quote:
you seek a web page
dthorpe.net does not have it
we are ashamed

My little haiku for lost pages...

The links should work now.

If not, for pix link here

Comment Image
carmagw
Posted 23/10/2011 - 21:02 Link
Well I bit the bullet and ordered it last week and it arrived on Friday.

[quote:3496ace15f="lemmy"]It is very usable at f1.4 though you need to be very careful over your focussing accuracy! By f2 it is as sharp as you'd need and at f2.8 truly excellent.

From my initial play with it I see what you mean when using it wide open as the DOF is so shallow. My initial thoughts are very positive, I'm going away for a few days so will take this one with me and hopefully get some shots to post.

Regards
George

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.