Watermarking my photos

techno-terminator

Pentax Pro Master 4,116 posts
5 years
Glasgow
Link Posted 14/02/2012 - 19:48
I'll need to send a disk of the Wedding pics down to my daughter , who will be letting her friends have a look .

I've told Tina that the final disk of the ones that she wants will not be watermarked and she can print them if she wants .

I've also told her that I do NOT expect to find the pics all over facebook etc .

Soooooooo in words of half a syllable just how do I watermark them using a MacBook Pro and Aperture ?
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs

Frogfish

Pentax Pro Master 2,087 posts
4 years
Shanghai
Link Posted 15/02/2012 - 12:42
I use Star Watermark which is a standalone and therefore doesn't need Aperture (I export the files I want to watermark to a folder, watermark them, then upload to SmugMug).

The free version works just fine however if you want the full version then it's around US$20. Works very well however note that if the font of your watermarking is too large then it will overflow the horizontal in Portrait shots, or will appear as too large for some, if you have heavily cropped some and not as it doesn't scale.

The free watermarker (that also adds borders as it's name suggests) that works with Aperture, Border FX, is crap for watermarking anything except individual files, because you can't batch process.
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Last Edited by Frogfish on 15/02/2012 - 12:51

Gwyn

Pentax Pro Master 8,828 posts
8 years
The Netherlands
Link Posted 15/02/2012 - 12:47
Here is a useful little Youtube video - maybe that will help.

Also this site takes you through it step by step.

Unlocker

Pentax Pro Master 2,725 posts
7 years
Bucks.
Link Posted 15/02/2012 - 15:06
As Gwyn's links show, its built in at the export stage.

Curious as to why you're suggesting using extra software and adding to the workflow Kevin?

Aperture can do batch on export built in, you can also have masses of presets set up as well. Why export them then use another piece of software to add a watermark when you can add the watermark to all your photos on export itself?

Sure you have a good reason, just wondered what it was?

WebsiteBlogPrintsGearTwitterFacebookPPGflickr

Frogfish

Pentax Pro Master 2,087 posts
4 years
Shanghai
Link Posted 15/02/2012 - 17:06
Unlocker wrote:
As Gwyn's links show, its built in at the export stage.

Curious as to why you're suggesting using extra software and adding to the workflow Kevin?

Aperture can do batch on export built in, you can also have masses of presets set up as well. Why export them then use another piece of software to add a watermark when you can add the watermark to all your photos on export itself?

Sure you have a good reason, just wondered what it was?

If you use the built-in watermarker then you need to :

a) create a string of watermarks as jpgs/ PSD / PNG whatever and in different sizes because you will need to know which size is best for the image you are exporting, not much flexibility there if you want to increase or decrease the size, or angle offset of the watermark. Those watermarks are created in another program outside of Aperture.

I use presets all the time - but not for watermarking. Didn't know you could !

b) If you then need to change the wording for any reason then off you go back to create another graphics file !

c) I export everything to SumgMug but haven't found a way to watermark in Aperture on the way to SmugMug (using the built-in exporter) so it's not really an extra step because you are still exporting to a folder before uploading to SmugMug in stead of sending versions straight there.

The latest implementation of Border FX (which I used to love - even though it doesn't do batch) is very buggy and often crashes or falls to render your shot at all on exiting.

Don't get me wrong, I love A3, but watermarking is IMO a poorly implemented feature that needs improving - unless I'm doing it all wrong, and if I am then I'd really love someone to put me right and improve my workflow !

Star Watermark is extremely fast, flexible and reliable (never crashes or freezes) and does a great job for me. Want to change a word ? No problem 5 secs later you are ready. Not sure if the text will fit in that font on this shot ? Keep both panels open (the editing and the processing) so you can immediately see, via preview, if any changes you have made (text, opacity, angles etc.) suit both that shot and others. Best of all it's free
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Last Edited by Frogfish on 15/02/2012 - 17:10

techno-terminator

5 years
Glasgow
Link Posted 15/02/2012 - 19:14
Hmmmmmmmm

me thinking hard about this .

I've got to do something - my piccies are likely to be in many of Her Maj's 'holiday' Residences so I really have to be careful

puma

Pentax Pro Master 1,563 posts
4 years
England
Link Posted 15/02/2012 - 20:52

techno-terminator

5 years
Glasgow
Link Posted 15/02/2012 - 23:24
Well - that's Star Watermark now in my Apps folder and I've successfully made a simple wee watermark and that's all that's needed for this job - and I have to admit I LOVE the price

Next job is to experiment with some pics that don't belong to this set so I can be confident that what I've chosen will work .

I'll finish 'playing ' with the wedding pics , and then once I'm happy with them I'll add the watermark to each as I export for burning to disk - oh the fun

Thanks for the suggestions folk

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.

Connect with Pentax User
Official Partners
Latest Posts

Pentax Q-S1 Review

Reviewed, the new compact and stylish Pentax Q-S1, with 12 megapixel BSI sensor and a redesigned ...

Posted in Reviews

Pentax K-S1 DSLR Review

John Riley reviews the new Pentax K-S1, a compact and stylish Digital SLR with a 20 megapixel APS...

Posted in Reviews

Buy A Pentax 645Z Interest-Free

Pentax has introduced a new interest-free credit scheme for those purchasing a 645Z.

Posted in News

Pentax K-S1 Matching 'Sweet' Neck Straps

Strawberry Cake, Blue Cream Soda and Lime Pie camera straps are now available from Pentax.

Posted in News