Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Waterproof housings

Darkmunk
Posted 26/07/2014 - 14:08 Link
Anyone got any experience with this?
Despite living by the sea and lots of lovely rivers, I'm still not having any joy with the WG series (any of the 3 I've owned).
I think it's a combination of tiny lens, too easily obscured by water droplets, dodgy low light ability (and DR) and completely random focus.
I think a big ol' lens and the K5 would transform my chances.
johnriley
Posted 26/07/2014 - 14:11 Link
It's expensive though. I'd still persevere with a WG with f/2 lens. I'm using a WG3 and not finding any particular problems.

If you want a waterproof housing, be prepared for high cost and having to possibly grease seals every use and then huge bulk.
Best regards, John
Marat
Posted 26/07/2014 - 19:05 Link
If you are talking about snorkling depths and not scuba then check out Ewa-Marine they make housings to fit the K5,

if you are after something a bit more serious then try ikelite they also used to make housing for the K5, I bought mine a couple of years ago so worth checking if they are still in stock.

Like yourself I have never been a fan of the Pentax WG series of compacts, having many of the same problems you have listed, Panasonic, Canon and Olympus seem to be on the ball with this range of cameras.

If you are not brand loyal and are after a rough, tough underwater compact then the Panasonic TS5A is the best currently on the market and most of our scuba club members own one.

I still use a Nikonos V and Sea&sea systems but these are old film cameras but still fantastic after all these years.

Woohoo a topic I know a bit about.
Edited by Marat: 26/07/2014 - 19:05
Pentaxophile
Posted 26/07/2014 - 20:00 Link
I do have an old Ewa Marine housing which I bought a year ago, intending to use for snorkelling. It was designed for 35mm SLRs so will not take a huge lens. A K5 and wide angle prime would work though.

I haven't really used it so would happily sell for what I paid for it - £40.

Unfortunately though it's at my mum's house up in Derbyshire!
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Darkmunk
Posted 26/07/2014 - 21:06 Link
OK, thanks guys.
Just been down to the river to give the WG a thorough test (I always assume it's me) the dynamic range (abysmal), inability to make it focus where you want, no raw, tiny lens area, all make it ridiculously difficult to use. It is definitely no better (possibly worse) than my iPhone in a bag. I've certainly used more images from the iPhone.
That ewa-marine U-AX seems the business. I've seen these before so it's good to get a thumbs up here.
I simply don't trust any small camera to deliver, so it looks like when I've sold my 17-70 that money is already spent
Darkmunk
Posted 26/07/2014 - 21:07 Link
Anybody want a WG-3. they're really good, honest.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.